What Are We? What is AboutMyArea all about?
AboutMyArea is a network of franchised local news and what's on websites run and owned by members of the community in which they live.
AboutMyArea was established in the summer of 2004 and went live in 2005. In 2009 we rolled out our national sites, we have a site in every postcode in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, that is over 2700 post codes
In 2012 the business was bought by one of the franchisees, which means that the franchisor has day to day experience of running a hyperlocal publishing franchise.
There are over 100 live post codes in the UK that are operated by franchisees nationwide.
We have a steady flow of new franchisees and some franchisees who need to relocate have successfully sold their businesses as going concerns.
Every website is:
- Exclusive to a postcode, but postcodes can be linked
- Interactive - allowing contributors through AMAZing
- Part of a national network (national strength with a local voice)
- There are two types of site, non-franchised that run contributed content and some advertising and franchised sites that are fully engaged with the local community providing local news, what's on and marketing services. Essentially daily online news sites that champion the local area.
- Each franchisee editor puts their own style on how they run their business and publish their news.